#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, March 09, 2008

The House I grew up in

We always referred to it as the "green house" because of the paint color and the address was 659 W. Washington St., Bradford , Pennsylvania. It was here that I spent most of my childhood years which were idyllic. Those were the days of Sally, Dick and Jane and our neighborhood and family life were just like those readers. The green house had two floors. There was a big kitchen in the back and the washer and dryer were in the kitchen too. I remember the tall cupboards and the black dial phone on the wall. Underneath the small back porch we played in the dirt hidden by the lattice. We made dolls from the hollyhocks that mom grew there. In the small living room in the front we listened to the radio until later when we got a television. Up the stairs were three bedrooms. I had the one over the garage all to myself while Diane had the smaller one. I had rheumatic fever when i was 10 and mom and dad moved me into their big bedroom. I had to be on bedrest for 6 weeks. I was upstairs all by myself for a lot of the time and I remember writing poetry about my furry kitten stuffed animals and my small dolls with the large crocheted dresses. when I was sick somone kept sending me cards signed "Your secret Pal"> I thought it was a friendly woman who worked in the pharmacy with dad, but it was really my mom. The house had pine trees in the front and a small lot in the back. Dad worked with a landscape architect and planted a number of beautiful trees and flowers there. The neighborhood was so friendly that we felt at home in the homes of our neighbors. All the kids played together without battling and we loved being outside from the time we got home from school until bedtime There are so many good memories associated with that house.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.