#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT YOUR MOTHER’S WEDDING?

My friend, Becky told about her mother’s wedding on her blog and challenged us to write about our mother’s wedding. A few years before my father passed away I asked him to compile his memoirs. He presented me with two full cassette tapes which I transcribed. I later made him a scrapbook from the story with pictures. The story needs to be told as he wrote it:

”I enrolled in a welding school. In welding school there was this girl learning to weld. She looked great wearing bib overalls and a bandana on her head and welding goggles on her forehead. I didn’t know it then but she was to be your mother.  It wasn’t long before I started making passes at her.  I thought what was a girl doing at welding school?  One day she asked me to take her home as her ride was sick that day That was the break I needed. . I found out she was from Georgia and her name was Eleanor Todd. I asked her for a date.  She refused. and somehow I got her wristwatch and wouldn’t give it back until I got a date.  She said yes. “
    “Eleanor and I would visit places like the Empire State Building. We’d go to Coney Island, which was an amusement park. We went to Jones’ Beach which was a famous beach on Long Island. In the spring of 1944 we made up our minds to go to Georgia. We didn’t have any jobs in sight.  One wouldn’t do that today. “
    “ We decided to go to Georgia and we also decided to get married. Ed Metcalf’s brother who was a doctor gave us the blood test at no charge. We then got our marriage license. We wanted to get married in DuBois but found out that with our New York blood test we had to get married in New York state. We left New York and was on our way to DuBois.  We almost missed getting married. We stopped at Port Jervis, New York which was on the border of new York and Pennsylvania. Reverend Hill, a minister, married us. I still remember the red velvet suit she was wearing. It looked great. On the way we stopped in Kane and spent our honeymoon night. “dad's album 020 dad's album 018 dad's album 016

dad's album 014

2 comments :

  1. What a great story Peggy. I am amazed at how simple the weddings were all those years ago. Even our weddings were simple in comparison to the weddings of the last 10-15 years.

    Our parents seemed focused on starting a life together rather than having a party. They also seemed to have a solid committment to each other to make sure the marriage worked. They worked at marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is very interesting, the writing is very vivid, very pleasant surprise pople. I have come some advice to about Welding School or Welding Certification nationwide. Thanks for sharing.....welding careers Gillian Settlement Ar

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.