#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

SUMMER SOLSTICE

Welcome to the longest day of the year and the official beginning of summer. I was a teacher for 35 years or so and oh how I looked forward to putting away the books and having three months of free time. Well, it wasn’t exactly free time considering there were classes to take and many things to do. But just having sunshiny weather always brought a smile to my face. Do you have a favorite summertime memory?
   Here’s mine. I was in my last year of college at Clarion University of Pennsylvania. I went during the summers so I could finish up as quickly as possible so I could get married...Don was serving in the Navy at the time. When I reported to my dorm I discovered that there had been a fire and the dorm was going to be closed for the summer. My sorority sisters and I were out of home for 3 weeks. What to do?
    One of the girls had a cabin on the Clarion River in Emlenton which was a little over a half hour away. She called her mom and since I had a car all five of us decided to go there. What a delightful time we had! Since I was an art minor I was taking an oil painting class. That meant no homework!! Yippee! I was free to swim in the river all day and sunbathe. The radio speaker shouted outside as we sat on a raft and whiled away the time. I even remember the song that was so popular then:  “I can’t get no-o, satisfaction!” by the Rolling Stones.
   When I think of carefree times this is the memory that always comes to mind. Do you wonder what I looked like way back then?
me at clarion 006 I’m the blonde in the middle with the flowered sweater.  me at clarion 008
Here’s a little closer picture..sorry about the blur.
And here is my sorority picture:me at clarion 003
me at clarion 001
Those were the days, my friend!


1 comment :

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.