#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Falling leaves

fall buttoning up 10.15.12 007


The pond is quickly filling up with leaves as they tumble from the nearby trees. The beautiful color of last week is being replaced by dried crumbly leaves that scatter on the ground. On the hillside the bare trees cling to a few determined leaves as the wind plays tug of war.
fall buttoning up 10.15.12 006
We gather the summer’s pots which will be covered with a tarp to protect them against the winter’s elements. Putting away is part of the Autumn ritual.
fall buttoning up 10.15.12 005
Our newly planted birch tree is showing it’s yellow leaves and the hydrangea has lost all its blooms till another year.

Isn’t it easy to get philosophical as we see one season dissolve into another? The once bright and warm days are now in the past as we huddle in our homes and find other amusements for the six months of cold. As I contemplate how early our bad weather arrives I can see why all my family lives south of me. I have a sister in North Carolina, one in Virginia, and son in Tennessee and another in southern Pennsylvania. Here’s how my son it Tennessee put it.
   “ When we were visiting in Pennsylvania last weekend we did so much in just a few days…canoed, rode motorcycles, took a glider out, walked in the fall air. Up there everyone crams a lot into the few nice days that they have in the fall. Down in Tennessee a day like that is just one of many, many, many days we have to enjoy the weather. There is no hurry.”
   I can understand why people are snowbirds and go south in the wintertime.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.