#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Season of the ants

When the weather becomes nice once again in Bradford the season of the ants returns. No, I'm not referring to those little pesky insects that seem to find their way inside your house. I'm referring to the way the people in our town come out of winter hiding and bustle around doing outdoor projects. You see, our summer is very short. We can't plant or put annuals out until after Memorial Day for fear of frost and by Labor Day we have to worry about that again. So as soon as the sun comes out everyone is busy mowing lawns, doing yard work, or working on home improvement projects. Like ants. So we were today. I've been under the weather the last few days with a cold so Don was outside uncovering our outdoor planters and fountains. It was great to see them again. He's also picking up the last of the oak leaves and weeding. There is so much to do to get ready for our summer season. Each year I declare that I will keep it simple. But anyone who knows me will tell you that I don't do simple well. But after spending days putting away things in the fall I'm inclined not to get so much out this year. Yeah, sure I can hear you saying now. Lol!

1 comment :

  1. Darn, I thought you were going to give a surefire way to keep the pesky insect ants away! With the last rain we had they decided to come under windowsills in the kitchen. I read that they don't want to cross cinnamon so I sprinkled cinnamon around. And they do not want to cross it but seem to find a way around it. Meanwhile my kitchen smells like I've been baking!

    You do have a short growing season! I don't blame you one bit though for wanting to redo it each year or even make it better. That's our nature.

    Do you have to move those pots with the little evergreens inside somewhere cool for winter? My guys have moved a big palm tree inside for 5 years now to a cool bedroom and each year they say they won't do it again. You can buy them fairly cheaply now but we just hate to let it sit outside for frost to get it.

    I'm sorry you've not felt well. I hope you're back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.