#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Thursday, August 01, 2013

Memories of time at the table

"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."  Charles Pierre Monselet, French author (1825-1888
 This quote I saw this morning on Tablescape times Three really evoked memories for me. It seems that when we recall pleasant past memories that we can picture sitting around a table. Engraved in my heart are the delicious family meals that my mother prepared in her very tiny kitchen on Ann Lane. We always ate on the dining room table since there was just a tiny table in the kitchen. Even though the space was small mom managed just fine. And many nights my sister and I talked over doing dishes crowded together. The dining room set was maple with an oval table and hutch. I always remember a tablecloth covering it. My mother had a centerpiece most of the time and set a beautiful table for special occasions. Thoses memories warm my heart.  In these modern days of video we take pictures of special days. I would love to just have five minutes of video of our family sitting down for a meal. 

1 comment :

  1. I love the quote, and wouldn't you know that he would be French? It seems to come naturally to them to embrace the pleasures of table with conversation and geniality. I love your memories of growing up with the meals your mother prepared, and of your sisters and you talking while washing dishes. They are precious memories. I hope that one benefit of blogging has been that young mothers are establishing those memories again in this generation as they set pretty tables and cook homemade meals.

    Really good post, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.