#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Childhood Christmas memories

At this time of year memories from long ago seem to surface as Christmas carols ring in our ears. The holiday time was such a special time for most of us that those memories never fade. I can remember the tree with the large colored lights all covered with silver tinsel. Mom always told us to hang every strand separately and not throw it in clumps. 

And then she got out the spray snow and created a wonderland on our front window.  


I clung to my belief in Santa till I was quite old because I had two younger sisters. When my mother finally had to confess to me I was so disappointed. As they filled the stockings that year I sat on the bottom step watching in disbelief. 
   Another memory of Christmas that sticks in my mind was when I was a teenager. I had a boyfriend...who is my husband now of almost forty eight years in January. Mom and dada had gone to a Christmas Eve party and my sisters were upstairs sleeping. Dad had gotten out a box for Don and asked him to put together a metal dollhouse. It was one of those with fairly complicated directions...put tab A in slot A. It took hours to put together but we work steady and got it done. 


What childhood memories stick in your mind?

2 comments :

  1. OH MY GOSH!
    this was so wonderful peggy.
    you'll never know.
    tears of happy joyful memories for me reading this!
    your mom said the same thing my mother used to say! "tammy! don't throw it on. PLACE each one!"
    and I HAD THAT DOLLHOUSE! i did.
    i recognize it! one of my favorite things.
    oh this was a wonderful little memory filled post dear heart.
    thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:25 PM

    Our mothers must have had the same class in icicle placing as my mom said the same thing,"Don't throw them on in clumps. Place each strand one at a time." I had that same dollhouse, too. Wouldn't they all be surprised at the ginormous selection of Christmas toys available today!!!!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.