#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, March 01, 2014

Let's have a conversation

Are you familiar with Gretchen Rubin? She wrote The Happiness Project and sends out an email each month. Her most popular questions this week was ...Do you struggle to make conversation?
   I don't feel like I struggle but I am one of those people who listen much more than I talk. For some reason I don't feel that my stories are as interesting as those I'm listening to. Lack of self confidence, I guess. Then when I have a really great story to interject I don't speak up fast enough and the subject gets changed and my story is no longer relevant.  Does that ever happen to you? Some people are great story tellers and make their life sound like a sit com full of funny adventures. And some can talk to total strangers and have just the right words to say. Some I could listen to for hours because they have had such exciting adventures. It's a good thing I blog because I don't talk about myself all that well. I wonder if that is caused by feeling that bragging was a bad thing to do. What is your conversational style?













3 comments :

  1. I love the quotes!!!!

    My feeling on conversation... It's rather dead, in today's age. I know, that sounds like a "downer," but.......

    How many real conversations have you had, recently? Doesn't a lot of conversations seem like each person is almost battling for "speaking time"? Quick... Fast.... Rapid..... Have to talk quickly, before the other person "has to go." I call it the Age of No Patience. Caused by or at least contributed to, by our Culture of Fast.

    The Net fosters this... E-mail... Instant Messaging... Twitter with it's set number of letters... Getting "News Bites"... Skimming over so much information... Even skimming in blogging.... -blush-

    I'd love to be a fly on the wall, at gatherings of those great minds, whose quotes you use! Can you imagine how wonderful, those old gatherings, must have been?????? When the world seemed to proceed, at a slower pace.... When there was time to really converse.... When people listened?!? Considered?!? Then came back, with their addition to the proceeding dialogue?!? -happy sigh-

    Yes, I am a "downer." Because I wonder, if all this has been lost... Like so many "Olden Things."

    -chuckle- Sorry. I need to come back and comment something up-beat! I really, really do!

    Hugs,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe because I live in a smaller town but the pace is much slower here. People are not as rushed and we are not as device happy as other places. Or maybe it's the age of the group I am with. But we have great conversations every morning at coffee. And I talk daily to my friends and family on the phone. While our conversations are not quote worthy they are enlightening as we share experiences and lend support to one another. The art of conversation is not dead here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is probably nothing more pleasurable than to end a good meal just having coffee... perhaps with dessert... and sitting around the table having a lovely conversation with people who truly enjoy each other's company!
    and... peggy... wonderful post!
    and... tessa... i think all those were very astute points! not a downer at all.
    goodness girls! you both sell yourselves WAY too short!!! LOLOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.