#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Love the Home you Have

 

The inspried Room is one of my favorite blogs that I visit daily. Melissa Michael's blog is full of decorating ideas and gorgeous pictures. Today is the the launch of her new book Love the Home you Have. I love the concept. And bloggers all over the web are celebrating by writing stories of their homes. So I am joining the challenge.

 

We moved into our current home in October of 1973. When we were first married we rented a small house and then in a few years bought a little house on the north side of town. We lived there for several years when the interstate came through and took our house. When we were looking for another we heard about a house on the west side of town..in the area where I grew up. I called the lady and she hadn't even put the house on the market yet. She allowed us to come up and see it first. I fell in love. it was brick, had a fireplace, and was in a lovely area off the main road.

When we moved in I was eight months pregnant with Ryan. I was happy to be in a bigger place and went about fixing a nursery. The boys grew up in this house, playing outside in the woods behind us and enjoying the quiet of the neighborhood. We have loved our house throughout the years. My decorating tastes have evolved from country with duck themed kitchen, Victorian pink in the living room, to a more sophisticated black and Frency style.

But in 2006 when we added on the sunroom change began to happen. We then made a courtyard with stamped concrete and a pond outdoors. We sold the hot tub and turned that room into an office. We got new bedroom furniture and then remodeled the kitchen. We made the house into our dream house.

 

 

I love my home. It is a place of safety and comfort. As I look out the window at the neverending snow I am snuggled and cocooned in it. It is my peace.

 

3 comments :

  1. Lovely story...

    Here, my home reaction is bitter/sweet. Of course I love it. With all its memories. And we have made it comfortable. And we love living across from a wooded area. Plus, we are close to family (next door even). We all call this, "The Compound".

    But, it's a 2 story family home, with only 2 people living in it now. Obviously too big, now. I would love to build a just-right-size dream cottage. To do that, we would have to sell our part of "The Compound" and find another spot to build and live. Not-going-to-happen...

    So we 'live in' the downstairs and one upstairs bedroom. And he has his garage work shop. And when I feel whimsical, I make believe that the rooms we 'live in' are actually 'in' my dream cottage. ,-)))))

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your home too! Your patio is definitely my favorite area. I wish I saw it before all the renovations, but it's so beautiful now! I hope one day I have a house as nice as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the name of her book.
    and the cover design.
    one of my favorite sayings... from mary englebreit? ... or maybe someone before her ...
    " bloom where you're planted."
    i love my own little wren house ... as you know!
    i remember the very first time after bob died. for several years i moved every 6 months.
    i only signed 6 month leases. no where felt like home without my beloved husband.
    one day... i walked into the 'then' apartment. it truly was lovely. it had a brick wall with a fireplace in it... french doors opening onto a balcony overlooking trees... and a small kitchen and one bedroom and bath.
    as i entered through the door... the most inexplicable feeling of sheer happiness overwhelmed me. i thought for the first time in years... "i'm HOME." it felt so good to feel that again! so i know what it means now. you have to love the home you're in.
    the other feeling is lonely and lost. and feeling home is wonderful! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.