#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Just you and me and the suitcase

 

There are some people who travel light. That wouldn't be any of our family. Every year on the first two weeks of July my famiy would make a trip from Pennsylvania to Elberton, Georgia where my mother's family lived. Dad made a promise to mom that he would take her back to visit her family once a year. And he made good on that promise. So he loaded up the car...even put a roof rack on it..and off we would go. He would load the three sleeping sisters right from bed with our pajamas on and we would start out early in the morning. After two hours of traveling we would stop for breakfast at a roadside rest picnic table or a park. The sleepy girls would dress while mom cooked over a propane stove. We had a full breakfast of eggs and bacon. But what we loved best was the little tiny boxes of cereal that you opened on the side and ate right out of the box. It took us two days to get there stopping outside of Roanoke the first night. I guess that is why I love traveling so much.

When my parents retired to Georgia they made a yearly trip up to my house. Since my dad loved to grow things he would fill the car with canned jams and jellies as well as sauces. The car would always be full and he joked to mom that one day it would be just "you and me and the suitcase". OF course that never happened.

And it is the same way with me and my sisters. I have a van and it seems I'm always filling it up with something. Linda sent me the above picture. They stopped in Altoona shopping on their way home and completly filled Diane's SUV.

One time when Linda and I were visiting Diane when she lived in Greensboro we had the car so loaded we could only see out the back window through the wire Eiffel Towers. I guess we are those kind of people.

 

1 comment :

  1. LOLOL! well. i'd say you're in good company. i think that's how most people vacation!
    i enjoyed this post and your childhood memories of road trips! I almost felt like one of the sleepy girls!
    on our many moves across the country... mother always made a pallet for us in the back seat with quilts to make it smooth and level. that's where we slept on the trip... staying in rest stops. they slept in the front seat. i remember picnics along the way too.
    eating in a restaurant was a rare treat in those days!
    my gram always sent us home with enough boxes filled with jars of her homemade strawberry jam to last the whole year! LOLOL.
    good times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.