#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Friday, April 07, 2017

Living at the library

I don’t know when my love of reading began. I think it started back in first grade when I saw Sally, Dick, and Jane having adventures in that hard back book I was holding in my hand and realized that those letters hooked together were telling a story. Learning to read is like opening a door. That is when I knew that I could learn something new if I just found the right book. I’ve always loved a library.

 

 

My idea of heaven is to be locked in a library with a pillow and a box of chocolates. I walk into the library tote bag in hand and long to fill it with books by my favorite authors or new ones that I have never heard of. I love reading non fiction as well as fiction and love the self help section. The library is a wonderful place to shop for books…but they are all free.

 

 

Our local library is not large and getting a best sellers requires being put on a list so I have started using Kindle more even though I’d much rather have a book in my hand than an ipad. I find it hard to find a page turner these days. I don’t want to read just to say I am reading so if I start a book and don’t like it right away I usually let it go back unread. So I am always searching. I know book tastes vary and we all won’t like the same books. For instance I know a lot of people who love historical fiction but it’s not for me. I like contemporary books although I love time traveling books or those with an excellent story despite its setting.

 

So I am asking you my friends, What do you recommend? Have you been lost in a good book lately? I read all the Patterson books because they are easy reading, go fast, and are just intriguing enough to keep my interest. 

I just finished Apart at the Seams by Marie Bostwick. Apart at The Seams (Cobbled Quilt, #7)

It was the usual light reading but I loved the way she wrote comparable to Debbie Macomber.

I also just finished The Girl Before by Rena Olsen. The Girl Before

I truly enjoyed this one as it went back and forth to tell the tale of a girl who was abducted at six and never remember any other way of life except that of her captors and their business of human trafficking.

1 comment :

  1. Loved this post, Peggy! I've always said that I hope heaven has libraries. I'd add to your vision of heaven that those chocolates would be the best ever made and with no calories!!! LOL I don't remember learning to read. I was reading encyclopedias at home in grade one and Dick and Jane books at school. I didn't feel any dissonance between the two activities. I think little kids just accept their regular lives as normal and don't think about it. I love, love time travel books, and I dearly love the Outlander series (historical setting within a time travel framework). I've been lost in James Mitchener's "Hawaii" for several weeks now ~ big, fat book, serious shortage of time! It's a wonderful overview of the history of Hawaii, but I find it unevenly written and there are some odd sections where the author steps out of the fictional story and adds his opinions. Big chunks of the book are excellent! I'm going to follow it up with "Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands" by Gavan Daws. I've been meaning to read Daws book forever, but I would get frustrated by the Hawaiian names and language. Now I've spent enough time in the islands that I think the Hawaiian words will not be an impediment (The English words are just fine LOL). One book that I got lost in recently was "Commander in Chief" a "Tom Clancy" book written by Mark Greaney. It's a political thriller about the situation with the Russians in the Baltic sea/countries area. It was published in 2015 and is excellent ~ very military ops book, but so thought-provoking, It might not be your taste, but I recommend it highly! Happy reading, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.