#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, September 24, 2017

I don’t usually get on a soap box

“Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Benjamin Franklin



My day goes on.

I get up and go about my normal business.

I dress, I eat, I work.

and I watch as our world is changing.

I fear, I question, I wonder.

My government has always been my protector.

I don’t feel those arms around me any more.

It feels as though I am losing something.

My privacy, my individuality, my information.

Each day I wait for leadership to do the right thing.

I look for sympathy for those not like me.

I see bullying, authoritative rhetoric, bluster.

I see men who cannot stand up for our basic rights.

I see our planet raging and a president who denies climate change.

Glimpses of humans in dire situations flash on television.

In this age of the most intelligent people basic problems can’t be solved.

Cameras peek in every corner.

Children are stolen.

The world is in turmoil.

I feel helpless.

I go about my normal business.

My day goes on.


 


3 comments :

  1. I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, too, Peggy. That is one of my favorite Ben Franklin quotes, and I really believe it. You are not helpless. You spread good and beauty all around you. You are kind and good-hearted to others. We may not be powerful leaders, but we can be powerful in our own lives and for those around us. Spread a smile, give a hug, stand up for what we believe in, work for peace and the environment however we can, teach the children in our lives strong values and love them unconditionally and with acceptance. Sometimes I get down or despairing, and I think of that story about the man walking the beach and tossing starfish back into the ocean after a storm. Someone asks him why he bothers because there are so many starfish. He answers as he tosses another back into the sea, "I can't save them all, but I can save this one." Keep on shining, Peggy! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.