#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, October 01, 2017

If I were a French Girl

I envy French women. I first discovered the concept of living the French way when I read the book French Women Don’t Get Fat. It is the story of a French girl who comes to America as an exchange student and quickly picks up the eating habits of the USA. Needless to say she goes home a few pounds fatter to the dismay of all her family. Quickly she is put on a reduction diet of onion soup and is told how the French women eat.

Life in France (and in most of Europe) is decidedly different in many aspects besides eating. When I visited France, Germany and Denmark I got to witness that first hand. My hosts in Denmark lit candles at the breakfast table and there was never a huge stack of pancakes smothered in syrup. In Germany and France there were wonderful elaborate meals…but no snacking. But there were other distinctions besides the way they ate.

I observed the way they dressed. No loud plaids, sneakers, or chunky jewelry. The clothes were classy and fit well with just the right touches of jewelry. Soon I became aware that you could spot an American miles away from their loud voices and casual clothes.

It seemed to me that they knew something I didn’t. While traveling with my friend’s Danish cousins in Provence I noticed they took time to spread a blanket in the park of a small village while my friend and I ran from store to store. While traveling we noticed the Bed and Breakfasts where we stayed made a presentation of all the meals. Meals were a celebration meant to be savored and enjoyed not rushed through just to get it done.

As I wondered why I was so different I began reading on the French way of life in many books, articles, blog posts, and magazines. I discovered that they know how to step back and enjoy life and not live to work or to gather possessions. It is a more simple and calmer life. I try to adopt some of the rituals of their daily living.
I read many French oriented blogs and I highly recommend this one to you. …French Garden House. http://frenchgardenhouse.com/blog/french-lessons-6-tips-for-living-like-a-french-woman/   Here is just a taste from her article:

French women seem to have that  je ne sais quoi ~ living chic in an effortless way. They appear self confident, well dressed, and to lead a charmed, elegant life. Here are 6 tips I’ve learned from the French women in my life. They all seem to have a generous dose of amour propre, self-love and self-respect.

fghplacemarker

1. Celebrate YOU. You were created to be unique, there is only one YOU, it sounds  cliché, but it’s absolutely true. If you love being feminine, and enjoy flirty, girly clothing, it’s what you are meant to be, it’s who you are, so don’t fight it. If you prefer the classics, or menswear, so be it. Figure out what makes you feel beautiful and comfortable. This is the secret French women have, it gives them that “oh, la la!”, they give themselves permission to be themselves. Align your inner self with your outer self. It can take a while to figure out your true beauty, but revel in it, pudgy nose and all. Don’t worry about looking perfect. Feel “bien dans sa peau” {feel good in your own skin}.

2. Take Care of Yourself. French women don’t go out looking like a mess. They might be in a hurry, but they are dressed and groomed, with a little scarf casually thrown on for good measure, even if they are only going to the supermarket. If you look good, you’ll feel good, it’s a sign of respect for yourself and the world around you! Find what colors look good on you. Dress for yourself, show your personality, express your individuality. Don’t wait until you loose 10 lbs., work with what you have. If you wear a radiant smile, and know you look as good as you can, no one will care nor notice.


For more please visit her blog.

5 comments :

  1. Anonymous4:42 PM

    Love your interesting blog. May I subscribe with email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a subscribe button. I hope it works for you.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you've mastered the French way, Peggy! I thought the six French living ways pretty much summed up the foundations for a rich life ~ especially lifelong learning and surrounding yourself with beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have your read Jennifer Scott's books The Daily Connoisseur? There are about 3 books but I love them.

    "When she arrived at Madame Chic’s Parisian apartment as a foreign exchange student, Jennifer Scott was a casual California girl who thought sweatpants were appropriate street attire. Madame Chic took Jennifer under her wing and tutored her in the secrets of how the French elevate the little things in life to the art of living."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky. I'll check them out.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.