#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, February 18, 2018

THINK BEFORE YOU LIKE

I am reading a most interesting book which confirms my belief that we are entering a new world of communication where we have to be careful abaout what we see online and what we believe to be true. Think Before You Like by Guy Harrison covers all aspects of social media and how we can be taken in by what we read and how we can be influenced. It also talks about social media like Facebook and how it is increasing our isolation with real present people. 



One review by Julien Mussolini..
“Guy P. Harrison has become an essential guide to the human mind and a champion of science, reason, and critical thinking. In this new book, he applies his signature wit, insight, and good nature as he tackles the Internet and social media, two omnipresent beasts that he shows us how to tame.  From fake news to priacy and filter bubbles, Harrison leaves no stone unturned and he delivers another brilliant and virtually important book.”

He writes not to believe everything you read with these warnings..

How to keep fake news out of your head..

Be skeptical of everything you read.
Consider the source.
Google is not God.
Slow down. 
If no one else is reporting the story, ask yourself why.
Understand the difference between opinion and news.
Check the URL carefully.
Don’t spread garbage.
Videos lie too. 


This book is well written and helps me understand this world of information I am living in. 

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous6:49 PM

    going to look for that.
    my marine lives by the 9 warnings there.
    he has helped me immensely. he always says don't just react.
    think. and think for yourself.
    I had never heard of this author. I'm not on any social media.
    but I had a friend who was forever sending me emails touting this or the other.
    I started filtering them through Swope? I think that was it. and often it was totally
    misleading and down right lies! I remember being amazed! that must have been at the very first.
    because now fake news is kind of an everyday thing. yes. it's a new age of communication alright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the world we're living in, Peggy! If it hadn't been for Blogger I would never have met you, and I'm so glad I did. But you're right ~ We have to be aware when we're online! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.