#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Maypole



Blast from the past....maypoles. Happy May Day to you all. When I think back, my childhood was filled with gentleness. It was a kinder, more gentle time. Every May 1st when I was in elementary school we would make paper cones from special fancy paper in school and fill them with wild flowers. Then we would secretly place the cone on someone's doorknob and run away. The idea was to surprise someone with a gift just to make a smile on their face. I guess these days you would call it "random acts of kindness".
At the end of the school year our elementary school would hold a special program for the parents. Each grade would present something outdoors on the lawn in front of the school. One grade might sing a song, another do a short skit. But the favorite thing was being chosen to dance the Maypole dance. A long pole was held in the air while colored ribbons hung from the top. Each girl and boy would hold the end of the ribbon and while the music played they would weave in and out causing the ribbon to make a woven pattern all the way up to the top. Then they would unwind the ribbon. I still to this day can here the melody that was played during the Maypole dance.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.