#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, July 05, 2020

The Fourth of July 2020

I think I need to write a little about the way this Corona Virus (Covid 19) has changed my life. It began for me in March when the virus which I had been reading about and seeing on television finally reached the United States. Pennsylvania began its “lockdown” on March 16th. That meant that we should stay at home as much as possible. Almost all the stores closed except for essential stores like pharmacies and grocery stores. When we went out we were encouraged to wear a mask to protect ourselves and others. I took this very seriously because the virus was especially damaging to older folks. With Don’s COPD I knew that if he got it he would be unable to survive so I only went out once a week to get groceries. 
    The weeks went by and our county was lucky enough to only have a few cases and none in our town. The virus was know to spread quickly in communities and New York City was reporting record cases and deaths. As the months went by more cities were reporting cases. But for some reason (mainly political since our president Trump told everyone that it would just soon disappear) a lot of people didn’t take it seriously, didn’t wear masks, and didn’t mind being in large crowds. And so the virus didn’t get under control. Meanwhile I restricted by time outside the house. 
     Now it is July and the news is not good in the United STates. While other countries have “flattened the curve” and maintain control of this virus the United States population (encouraged by the president who continues to hold large crowd rallies and tout that mask wearing is just an option) continues not to take it seriously. Now we are paying the price for that as cases rise and deaths happen. 
     I do not know what is in the future for our country but I am ashamed of how we are reacting. Our political divide is so great and full of animosity, the inequality of races has come to the forefront, our leadership has faltered, and we have failed to contain a deadly virus. Other countries who have looked to us as the gold standard for democracy are now pitying us. We are seeing our country falter. I only pray that we can hold on to the things that have always made me proud of our country. 
       Sorry for the political rant. I hope that I have not offended anyone. These are my beliefs. Happy Fourth of July. I feel like this is a turning point in history for the US.

Chris and Wendy came up for the weekend. They sold their house in Port Allegany that Wendy had lived in before their marriage and were up to gather the few things that were still left in the house. Last night we played Five Crowns out side until dark.


1 comment :

  1. I am ashamed, too, Peggy! It is unfathomable to me how this country has failed so badly with the coronavirus. I have decided that I can only count on myself and Terry. Since our government and president have abandoned us, Terry and I must make the best choices we can to take care of ourselves. My family wants us to go to Canada, but I love my adopted country. It's very strange to think that I can only see my family with FaceTime. I think of all the pain and suffering people in our country are unnecessarily suffering. It's unconscionable! I'm glad that you were able to visit with Chris and Wendy! We will come through this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.