#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, June 26, 2021

On my walk

Everyday I am feeling a little stronger so yesterday I called my friend Sandy and we went for a little walk around the Willow Dale Cemetery. It was fun connecting again and chatting. Before my surgery Sandy and I would walk every single day for a mile. 
     I saw something on my walk that I hadn’t ever seen...

It was a tree that had been pecked by a pileated woodpecker. He was busy getting insects out of the dead tree and evidently he has been very busy as you can tell from all the wood shavings underneath the tree. 

Pileated Woodpeckers drill distinctive rectangular-shaped holes in rotten wood to get at carpenter ants and other insects. They are loud birds with whinnying calls. They also drum on dead trees in a deep, slow, rolling pattern, and even the heavy chopping sound of foraging carries well. Their flight undulates like other woodpeckers, which helps separate them from a crow’s straight flight path.





1 comment :

  1. Those woodpeckers worked hard for their morsels.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.