#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Friday, January 04, 2008

Let's talk a little about January

Doesn't this happen every January to you? Christmas is over, the decorations get put away and suddenly you get this overwhelming urge to organize. What is it about this time of year that drives us crazy and makes us want to dig in the bottom of the closet or under the bed? We know that cleaning is an never ending job but all of a sudden we want to straighten up something. Is it a female thing? Do the sunless days of winter create the cave-women feeling of cleaning out the den? Of course, every year I say that this year I will get organized once and for all, and to my credit I have done pretty well. I do know where most of my stuff is. Sure, there are still those little seen recesses like the attic and basement where clutter builds up because I "throw" things there instead of putting them where they belong. So today I began. Since Diane is in Virginia helping Linda clean out her basement, I feel the urge to do some organizing of my own. It started out simple. I was coloring my hair and had 30 minutes to wait while the color developed. So I thought I would just clean out one drawer. The utensil drawer in the kitchen would be a good start. After taking everything out of the drawer and relining it I couldn't believe how much stuff came out of that one drawer. I was ruthless! Who needs 3 knife sharpeners, 2 bottle openers, 6 wooden spoons, ....all of sudden it dawned on me. I have too much stuff!!! I filled the garbage can with duplicates or items I thought I would never use again (but I did save the shisk-ka-bob sticks...well, I might want them next summer. OK, I probably won't but I couldn't part with them yet) That drawer looked so good when I was finished that I kept on going and did 3 more and a whole cupboard before I stopped for lunch. Now that the momentum is here I hope that I can continue in each room of the house.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.