#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Monday, December 21, 2020

Christmas spirit

I guess I was feeling a little sorry for myself yesterday. I was thinking of Christmases past and the joy I always felt at this time of year. That peaceful feeling would come over me and I would know that all was right in my world. This year I was waiting for that feeling. I had it a little bit when I hauled out my Christmas decorations and distributed them around the house. (But I didn’t put them all out and pared back quite a bit). Then it came again when my family all came home for Thanksgiving and we exchanged presents. (But that left the month of December with no holiday activities at all.) The days passed and I waited for that excited feeling to come. But every day I stayed at home and listened to bad news in the world. My usual optimism had a hard time mustering up a smile. 
    But today it came back. That fun feeling. That holiday joy. And all it took was a trip out of town. Don and I went to Jamestown. He hasn’t been out of the house for months but wanted to go out to lunch. All of the restaurants in Pennsylvania are closed now so we really enjoyed the Olive Garden. I made two very quick stops at TJ Max and Michael’s but came out of the stores with no packages. I was really thankful that I had done all of my shopping early and didn’t have to stand in those long lines. But it was Wegman’s, a grocery store, that put me in the holiday mood. The town that I live in doesn’t have the variety of foods that this store displays. I really went wild buying things I don’t usually buy (like a pecan topping for the Brie that I will share with Don Christmas Eve.) And stuffed pork chops for our Christmas Eve dinner. We are having ham for Christmas Day. It was fun to be in the bustle of shoppers and I picked out some rum balls and a platter of Christmas cookies. (Since I am not making cookies this year). I even found a large white platter that I needed. (Along with some greenery). When I came out of the store I told Don that it was dangerous for my wallet for me to go in that store. LOL. 
     I was really in a great mood all the way home recalling that holiday feeling. Now to find some Christmas movies to watch and to make the holiday special even though it will be just the two of us. 


3 comments :

  1. I'm glad that joy came back, Peggy. I know what you mean, mine ebbs and flows too. And I could visualize your grocery store trip because I miss that special Christmas in the grocery stores. There's just something wonderful about all the holiday foods they carry in December from all over the world.

    We're having a ham for Christmas Day too!It will last us for days and some for the freezer for dried beans for months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy that you found your Christmas spirit, Peggy! This year was a challenge, but Terry and I managed to have a fun day. His family has a tradition of hors d'oeuvres on Christmas Eve, so that's what we enjoyed. Not very fancy ones let me tell you! Christmas dinner was rib-eye steaks with baked potatoes and salad. I would dearly love to go out for dinner at a restaurant, but that won't happen until both Terry and I have had our vaccinations. I can't wait! Here's to a happier future!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.