#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

EAST IN THE WEST







Welcome to all the Tablescape Thursday fans. If you would like to see more beautiful tables please visit our lovely host Susan at her website..Between Naps on the Porch. You can find her right on the righthand side of my blog.


Here in Western Pennsylvania we don’t have many oriental influences. There are a few Chinese restaurants in town but that’s the closest we get to a chopstick so it was fun to create a different kind of tablescape this week.

 
oriental table 2.11 011
It all started when I discovered those oblong white dishes with Chinese characters while shopping. Though it’s not usually my style I just couldn’t resist the shape. I remembered that when we were eating at Bravo’s in Buffalo my friend was served some delicious sage butter squash ravioli in just such a shaped dish.
oriental table 2.11 013
The little dipping bowls were a Christmas gift (as well as the vase,and square gold chargers)from my astute sister who immediately picked up on the theme.
oriental table 2.11 009
Then later she sent me some pagodas and a wonderful cast iron teapot.
oriental table 2.11 006
The little ivory Chinese men and the jade elephant are very old and were given to my husband from a friend of his mother’s who was a missionary in China.
oriental table 2.11 005

She also gave him a red lacquer box which I am using to hold the tea lights.
oriental table 2.11 003
I used red napkins to hold the little pagodas. I folded them in a water lily style.

oriental table 2.11 004

It was very easy. Here are the directions if you are interested.
oriental table 2.11 027

oriental table 2.11 025

oriental table 2.11 016

oriental table 2.11 026
I hope you enjoyed your little trip to the Orient.
oriental table 2.11 012




2 comments :

  1. OOh i love those oblong dishes.. really a great find. There is so much you could serve in them. I love your napkin folds and the whole table looks amazing. I love the colors and the all the pieces you so carefully chose. a real hit! Thanks for dropping in with your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have collected a very special grouping of elements for your Asian themed table. The small people are called 'netsuke'...pronounced net-sookey. The oblong plates are wonderful, and I love the way that you have designed your table. Thank you for sharing your lovely tablescape. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.