#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Friday, October 27, 2017

Victoria

I am enamored with the PBS Masterpiece Theater and am currently enjoying Victoria their series about Queen Victoria of England. 

The eight-part drama follows Victoria from the time she becomes Queen in 1837 at the age of 18, through her courtship and marriage to Prince Albert. Famous for her candor and spirit, she was the first woman who seemed to have it all: a passionate marriage, nine children, and the job of being Queen of the world's most important nation. Victoria's often tumultuous reign lasted for 63 years; she was England's longest-serving monarch until she was overtaken by Elizabeth II in September, 2015.



I have an English ancestry on my father's side. His father came from England to settle in DuBois where my father grew up. But alas I never seemed interested in anything remotely English. I wasn't a fan of  English novels and didn't really care for English movies for a long while.  That is until watching Enchanted April when I immediately became a fan. 



When married British women Rose Arbuthnot (Miranda Richardson) and Lottie Wilkins (Josie Lawrence) decide to take a break from their respective spouses, they stay at a castle in Italy for a quiet holiday. Joining the ladies is Caroline Dester (Polly Walker), a young socialite, and Mrs. Fisher (Joan Plowright), an older aristocrat. Liberated from their daily routines, the four women ease into life in rural Italy, and each finds herself transformed by the experience.


Now I gobble up all that I can find and Masterpiece Theater certainly provides. Sunday nights became my favorite night of television while eagerly awaiting Dowton Abbey. But I missed out on Victoria so I am catching up with Amazon Prime. I love streaming movies and binge watching series.  Having shows readily available when I am is miraculous. It has changed the way I watch tv. 

1 comment :

  1. Hi, Peggy! Nine children is a lot of time pregnant! Yikes! Victoria certainly had an interesting life. I'm glad that you are enjoying your English side. I hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.