#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Having less

I never understood my mother and my mother in law when asked what they wanted for their birthdays. They would reply “I don’t need anything.”  I couldn’t imagine that there wasn’t anything they didn’t need. Now I know. They had reached that point in life where having things wasn’t important. It wasn’t that they couldn’t have used a nice fluffy new set of towels. But it was that they were content with just what they had. 
    I think that is the state of life I am at right now. To my surprise. I love to shop...at least I always did. The thrill of the hunt, the excitement of bringing things home and finding a place for them in my house and the pride in making my home pleasant to the eye delighted me. So what has changed? I am trying to eliminate things from my life...less clothes, less decorations, less to take care of. Maybe it is the stage of life that I am in. Or maybe a change of attitude? 
   


2 comments :

  1. Anonymous6:49 PM

    oh darling bean! happy Lagom to you! it's a wonderful mind set to have!
    to be content with what you have. there is nothing better. it's so happy. and you love beauty.
    so you needn't worry that it will ever be cold or lacking in that. it's just that you don't need a TON of it anymore!
    people used to always say to me "you're SO HARD to buy for!" like it was an accusation. I inconvenienced them by being who I am!
    I always felt it was a character flaw that I had and no one else shared my affliction!
    but that's not true. I was (and am) simply content!
    it's a hard concept for some people to understand apparently! LOL! I think you nailed it though by describing it...
    "the thrill of the hunt." maybe that's what it is for most people. and they're afraid of losing that. I don't know. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on what makes you happy. Having (or seeing) pretty things always makes me happy. I still want to have (and see) pretty things but I don't feel the need to buy them. I can enjoy them at a distance knowing that there is always going to be a prettier dish out there. Now I don't mean that I will never shop again for I get bored easily but it will have to be very special for me to bring it home since I am gathering all the things I can for a yard sale.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.