#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, December 06, 2014

Jan Williams

 

This is Jan Williams home/flora/gift shop in the summertime. I wish you could see it now all decked for the holidays with wreaths, garlands, and angels on the roof. It is a must stop for us every time I visit my sister.

Each year Jan donates her time and materials to raise money for the local James Monroe Museum by creating floral arrangements at Mary Washington college. The program is called. deck the Halls. After. Some sweets and tea we anxiously awaited Jan's creativity and she did not disappoint. She decorated some centerpieces, a huge boxwood wreath, some sparkling silver stockings and some small baskets. Afterwards they raffled off all the decorations. One year I won a boxwood wreath but this year we didn't have such luck.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All the fresh greenery was collected at the college and afterwards they put out large black garbage bags full of holly, magnolia, nandina, and pine for people to help themselves. This year not so many people took things home so we were rewarded with tons of fresh. Ate rials to make live arrangements with.

After a nice lunch at Ilene's Bakery we journeyed home to rest a spell before heading out to the museum. They had an open house with harp and piano music with hot cider and cookies.

Now we are in our Jammies and settled down for a quiet evening.

 

4 comments :

  1. You are having so much fun, Peggy! I'm sure you picked up all kinds of neat ideas from Jan (and doesn't she have an interesting personal story!). Ending the day in jammies and settled in for a quiet evening ~ sounds heavenly! I've hung a wreath outside, and our tree is up. Tonight I'm going to untwist all the branches, spread the tips, and get the lights on. We'll see how far I get. It's artificial ~ Having cut down so many trees for Christmas over the years (really ~ with an ax!), I began to feel like a tree killer ~ read too much Tolkien, I guess. Have a safe journey home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful day!
    i can smell the fresh greenery from here!
    though... like fundy blue. . . i prefer having a faux tree.
    funny how people always call the other ones . . . "live trees" . . . when the minute they're cut down . . . they're dead.
    you never hear people say . . . ' we're going to go pick out our dead tree this weekend! '
    i've gotten used to my artificial tree now and I love it. and no worries of fire! at least . . . not from the tree. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:34 PM

    What a time you and your sisters are having!!!!!!!!! The pictures are beautiful, so I imagine they are spectacular in person. Is tomorrow the designated "use the greenery to make things" day? You girls sure know how to pack a ton of activities into a few days!!!!
    Love the comment above about the "live, dead trees." Never thought of it that way, but it's absolutely correct.
    You and Linda have a safe trip back. Hope she gets a good start from VA Beach.
    Say hi to your sisters for me.
    Hugs,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.