#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A little French

french tulips

Two of my favorite things..tulips and tower. I have an affinity to all things Eiffel. And French writing. I wish I could speak French because I love the sound of the language. I know it’s never to late in life to learn something new, but I feel at this stage I could learn French but not being able to practice speaking it consistently I would quickly lose it. It reminds me of a book by Maeve Binchy. image

Maeve Binchy can always be counted on to spin an involving tale about ordinary people that brings out the extraordinary in everyone. In Evening Class, Binchy zooms in on the working-class of Dublin. Schoolteacher Aidan Dunne organizes an evening class in Italian with the help of Nora O'Donoghue, an Irishwoman returning home after 26 years in Sicily. When the somewhat squashed-by-life denizens of the surrounding neighborhood take the unexpected step of enrolling in the class, they find their lives transformed.

Binchy tells her story from the viewpoints of eight different characters and rewards both them and her readers with happy endings after the requisite rocky road. Reading a novel by Maeve Binchy is like catching up with old friends--you know everything will turn out fine in the end, but you're still interested in how things get that way.

I wish I had a group like that to help me with my French and then plan a trip to France to practice. Wouldn’t that be fun?

french robin

1 comment :

  1. Linda Platko Green11:24 AM

    What about looking into the Rosetta Stone to learn some French? May be worth the try and fun:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.