#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Hunting camp

 

A few years ago Don built this hunting camp for a friend of his who lives in Knox, PA about two hours south of here. Jack lives in the middle of the woods and is the true meaning of a frontiersman. He lives mostly off the land, hunting or growing his own food. He is a hard worker and what is even more amazing he has survived thirteen heart attacks. He was life flighted to Pittsburgh twice and has had a tracheotomy. He doesn't let anything stop him and has a positive spirit and a great sense of humor. Jack is also a musician who plays piano and keyboard and sings. He has teamed up with john Serra who has won Grammy awards for his guitar work and they have created CDs together. Jack is a childhood friend of mine who lived near us when I was growing up. His father, Ray Giering, was our elementary school principal and a fantastic educator. He was the one who encouraged me to be a teacher. His mother, Maryne was a second mother to me. This summer I attended her ninetieth birthday party.

Soon Don will be driving down to Jack's to hunt in the camp he still loves venison but is unable to drag a deer through the woods.



 

3 comments :

  1. What a great post!

    That is some hunting camp your husband built for your friend. That's no little "duck blind" as it were.

    Best wishes for a safe hunting trip. I'm sure you will enjoy the meat, all winter.

    Ya' know, I don't think I have ever had venison.

    Tessa~
    "Here there be musing" blog
    "Here there be more words" blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW.
    a man's man for sure.
    what a neat little cabin. I like that it's off the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though most of us live in a city environment, the good news is that you don't have to travel far, usually, to get to a wilderness area. My website

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.