#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ole! A Mexican Fiesta

It's Tablescape Thursday time again...yeah! Please visit Between Naps on the Porch and see all the wonderful tables.


Hola, Amigos! It has been so cold and snowy here in northwestern Pennsylvania that we needed a South of the Border party to heat us up. This celebration for my friend Kay who turned 65 had a Mexican theme.


Being from the North we don't have a lot of experience with Mexican food other than the occasional trip to a Mexican restaurant. I decided to serve Tamale pie and Tortilla soup for the main course. The desert was a Mexican ice cream ball (frozen yogurt rolled in crushed granola and cinnamon served with honey) and a creme caramel with wafer cookies.






Of course with the appetizers we had frozen pina coladas and lemoncello with pineapple juice. My friend Linda brought two different kinds of dips...a hot chesse dip and an avocado dip. We had blue corn tortilla chips and multicolored vegetable chips too.

Linda, Yrsa, and Kay are toasting to our friendship.



I wanted to keep the theme a suprise until they walked in that day. The mexican music and the table setting showed them that they were going to have a "hot" party.




I pulled out my summer napkins of pink and blue stripes and the plates that had been hidden away all winter for the appetizers.




This ivy colored rooster seemed just right for the table. I put a pasmina scarf on the white tablecloth to add brightness.
















These coffee plates really added punch to the table. I used my bamboo flatware, amber glasses, yellow napkins with wooden napkin rings, and beaded gold placemats.






I made the placecards and menu using the Photoshop program on my computer.














































Just to give it the Mexican cantina feel I strung party lights.













This lantern that I found out the Olde Time Pottery in Pigeon Forge Tennessee was just right for the occasion.





































The centerpiece was a very old baking dish with a pottery smaller dish inside filled with herbs and a candle.



















The lights are so pretty I'm having a hard time deciding when to take them down.










13 comments :

  1. What a beautiful, colorful, ethnic Mexican table setting with all the frills. Thanks for sharing. Love the lantern and everything else, of course!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, colorful, ethnic Mexican table setting with all the frills. Thanks for sharing. Love the lantern and everything else, of course!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy, fun, creative table! I know your frioends must have loved it and the fOOd sounds wonderful! So glad I came by to see you! I, too, live in Oa., in Landenberg, which is the very southeast TIP of Pa. where Pa., De., and Md. all mwett. Have a great day! Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very festive! Great bold choices, they all work together nicely!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my kind of party! Your friends must have LOVED it! Living in the Southwest myself that theme is everywhere and I never get tired of looking at all of the colors and textures... I love it!

    *Really Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a festive table! You went all out, I love it...
    I am a retired teacher too, and went to college in Ohio, but Pittsburgh was the nearest city. Still have many friends there...
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so festive. And looks like everyone had a great time. I love Mexican food (but I live in Southern California). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:16 PM

    What a bright and colorful table you've set! I think y'all were having some fun! makes me feel warmer just looking at all the wonderfulness of your tablescape. Good job!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delish and looks like FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peggy! What a fun tablescape for a special celebration. I like themed parties like this that take the decor and food to another level. The food all sounded yummy. I kid around with people and tell them that I live in Northern Mexico because living in Southern California we have a huge Spanish speaking communities and are surrounded with Mexican restaurants and signs in Spanish everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Running late this week visiting blogs....

    Hope you had a great Tablescape Thursday

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lively and festive table!
    Looks like you all had fun!
    Have a fabulous weekend!
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peggy...Love your tablescape! I'm so glad you emailed a question 'cause I might have missed this otherwise. I bet your friend Kay had a blast...what a great friend you are! I love the china and the bright colors...I especially love the menu card...very impressive! Great tablescape! Have you heard about Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum? You need to participate sometime with all this yummy food! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.