#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why didn't I take a picture?

What a lovely afternoon I had with my friends who came to my house to play cards this afternoon. Linda provided flatbread pizza and I made a fruit salad. We had creamsicles  for dessert..very refreshing on this hot day. We played in the sunroom which has a window air conditioner which was greatly needed since it got above ninety today. We played a game called Five Crowns. It's a special deck that can be bought on Amazon. It's easy to learn and fun to play. 
  Since I don't have any pictures let me tell you a story. We were talking the other day about why robins and other birds like to build their nests so close to a house, sometimes on a porch light. Mary Jo told a story about a robin at her house that insisted on nesting on her light despite their best efforts to discourage her. Her husband finally moved the nest over to a platform that he built between two branches. She must have liked her new home because she completed her nest there .
  We had a robin this year who nested in our climbing hydrangea by the courtyard. I kept telling her it wasn't a good spot.  There is some activity out there at times. She bopped in and out first with nesting materials and then with food for her babies. I was fearful that when the babies fell from the nest that our cat would find them. But it wasn't the cat at all. One day I saw Sadie chasing something along the ground. I thought it was a chipmunk but it was of course a baby robin. I rescued it and Don out it back in the nest. The other baby scooted away safely. The next day mother robin and her brood had disappeared to a safer location. 
  
   


3 comments :

  1. It certainly was a great afternoon spending it with friends :)

    Interesting about the robins...one built a nest in the bush right out side my bedroom window, when it rained, it really poured right on top of the robin and the nest :( So I put a large board wrapped in dk green garbage bag and weighted it down with a brown rolled up fence. Those two were colors to blend in with nature. It did the job of protecting the Mama and babies from the down pour from the gutters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful thing to do. Kisses from mama robin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a sweet picture and quote. Our robins seem to stay out in a field and not come close to the house. Flycatchers used to build in our front porch every year and then disappeared.

    That Sadie! We cannot break Katie Belle of chasing and one time catching chipmunks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.