#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Tuesday, December 04, 2018

It’s all about the Christmas tree


Whether you put up a sixteen foot live tree or a small tabletop foot high one Christmas just isn’t Christmas without a tree. Growing up we almost always had a live tree complete with silver tinsel and colored balls and lights. There was that one or two years where aluminum trees were all the rage and ours had a revolving colored wheel of light which changed the color of the tree as it spun around. After I was married I wanted to carry on the tradition of a live tree so my husband and his father went out in the woods to cut one down. I’ll never forget the day he carried it into our first house. It was not shaped like a Christmas tree at all. It wasn’t one of those perfect triangle trees that you see in the lots. This tree was a long needled pine with generous spaces between the branches. And I loved it. I decorated that tree as if it was the one headed for the White House. I proudly hung ornaments and balls on it and sat dreamily in front of it on many cold December nights. As the children grew they helped with the decorations and live trees finally went by the wayside as artificial trees became more popular. Now the big tree which stood in the living room has been replaced by a smaller tabletop tree in the sunroom. It is easier for us to manage but I decorate it as if it was ten feet tall. 

Each year I have a theme and this year it is Silver, green and white. The topper for this tree is one I bought at the craft show. The ribbon is green velvet and I added a stripe of glittery silver mesh. 

It is decorated with berries, silver ornaments, garden ornaments, green balls, eucalyptus, and silver balls. 

I love mercury glass and added those balls filled with amaryllis to the table.


I think the tree fits the mood of the room very well. What do you put on your tree?  Do you have a special theme? Do you add the same ornaments every year?









1 comment :

  1. Wow, Peggy! Your tabletop tree is still White House worthy! It's just right in front of that beautiful window and I love the vignette you've arranged around it. Love the color scheme of your tree too!

    I know what you mean by the spaces to hang things on fresh trees. It's so hard to find trees with branches that let ornaments hang nicely. RH says it's because they shear them so tightly. It's funny that the prettiest fresh Christmas trees with wonderful spaces between branches are those in the British magazines. And finding a faux tree with space is almost impossible.

    We've gone to a faux skinny tree for the house but missed the fresh ones so much that we put one on my kitchen porch this week! Keep hoping it will warm up enough for me to put lights on it and then I'll be able to enjoy it when I'm working in the kitchen. It's in a big planter of sand and tied to the railing so should be easier to water than one inside.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.