#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Journal Prompts

When I first started this blog in 2006 I did it for just one reason. I wanted it to be like a diary, only with pictures. I just wanted to record my daily thoughts and experiences. I would  hope that someone would read it in my family or my friends might look at it too. On these pages I poured out my heart, my emotions, my feelings, my activities. I only did it for myself. But on the way I found a few faithful readers who have been generous in their comments and for that I am thankful.
When I didn’t have much to say I would look to journal prompts such as these…


So today I will answer just a few of them for fun.
#3…Your favorite childhood vacation.

     We always went to the same place every year during the first two weeks of July. My dad was from the North and my mom was from the South (Georgia, to be exact). When they got married he promised my mother that he would take her back to Georgia every year to visit her family. And he kept his word all of his life until they retired down there. Our trip would start before daylight when dad would wake us up and usher us into the back seat of the car wearing our pajamas. We would sleep for a few hours until we reached a park outside of DuBois where we made our first stop. Mom would have us get dressed while dad cooked bacon and eggs over a campstove. I remember what a treat it was to open those tiny boxes of cereal and eat right out of the box. We played while mom and dad packed things up again and we continued our journey. Our next stop was lunch usually at a roadside picnic table by the highway under a weeping willow tree. We made half of the trip in that one day, all the way to Roanoke, Virginia where we stopped at a motel. We always loved that part because it was the only time that we did that. We would hop into the pool and swim and swim to relax and then eat a dinner out which was also a treat in those days. The next day it was back in the car for a long ride. We always looked forward to the trip to see our cousins.

#20…something you are looking forward to.

  In April I am going to Hawaii with my sister Linda. It will the biggest trip I’ve taken in a long time and I am excited.

#27…Four items you’d put in a time capsule

The first item I would put in is the scrapbook I made for my father called My Footsteps in Time which tells his life story. I also would add my printed out blog books. Another item I would add is a picture of my family together. The last item I think would be one of my paintings.
#10 ..did you ever get lost as a child?
I can only remember getting lost once but it made such an impression on me that it sticks in my memory. I was very small…perhaps five or so. We were at Jones’ Beach on Long Island. My mother used to live there and we were back visiting my aunt. I think it was the first time I remember being in the ocean. I loved the waves and was playing in the water. Then I looked up and couldn’t find my mother. I think I had moved down the beach. I looked at the shore which had a thousand bathers with towels and umbrellas and I couldn’t find my mother. I panicked and started crying and was very scared. Mom came right away and carried me to shore.
#5…what objects tell the story of your life?
Paint brushes, ipad, books, flowers, blue and white pottery, nail polish.
I hope you enjoyed my answers. I would love to hear your answers to some of the questions too.

2 comments :

  1. I did enjoy your answers, Peggy! Your family vacation piece reminded me of vacations I went on, and I so loved those cereal boxes when I was a child! Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, I'm glad you're printing your posts because someday a grandchild or great-grandchild will love having them to read. I loved reading about your trips south and now I remember your Southern connection. You have the best of both worlds in your heritage. Travel was such a big deal when I was a child, we prepared for it for days before, organizing everything we would need. And with four children I don't remember us eating at a restaurant along the way, Mama packed food. And even in our trips to either family or Myrtle Beach we only ate out at a restaurant for supper once per trip. And cousins! I had so many and loved them so much. I'm thankful for Facebook for that reason as it has been a way of reconnecting with most of them. Your answers to your last question really say a lot, don't they? They're kind of the essential you and I love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.