#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, August 10, 2019

HURD ORCHARD


Hurd Ochards is a family fruit and flower farm and canning company nestled in the fertile lake plains of Western New York between the banks of the Erie Canal and the shores of Lake Ontario.Their farm philosophy centers around their love of the history and development of fruit growing in rural America and appreciation for the earth’s gifts. To share their bounty they offer programs, luncheons, tastings, teas, and classes which are radiant with the colors and flavors of the seasons. 


My sisters and I were lucky to attend a herbal luncheon in their old barn which was moved over a hundred and fifty miles and reassembled on the property. Before the luncheon we enjoyed shopping in their lovely gift store which sold preserves and French table linens as well as baked goods. 



The flower arrangements and all the displays were just beautiful and done by color or themed by the fruit. As soon as we arrived a huge thunderstorm blew in and they had to close the doors to the fruit market/store and we were delighted to be in such a beautiful place to spend the time till it was lunch time. The owner led us down to the barn after the storm was over and we found our table. 

The first thing we noticed was the outstanding harp music played by Grace Wong. She continued to entertain us all during the luncheon with familiar tunes. 

The tables were set with gorgeous flower arrangements in antique bowls. Flowers were all around and we enjoyed the huge arrangements. 

The owner and her mother gave us a history of the farm and then it was time for our first course..cherry lemonade which was Devine. Our salad course followed with fresh blueberries, blackberries and a special homemade herbal dressing. 

The bread basket consisted of apricot bread with an apricot jam and a wheat bread with a cheese spread. 


The main course was chicken with a blackberry sauce, applesauce made with a special apple which was just coming in at that time and couscous with blueberries, almonds, apple and a tangy dressing. 
And then came dessert. 

This was probably the best biscuit that I have ever tasted along with lemon curd, blueberry and blackberry sauce and homemade whipped cream. It was such a special experience. 

It was a perfect way to end my sisters’ visit. I miss them already. 
























2 comments :

  1. Hi Peggy❤️ I read and enjoyed your blog!! I scrolled quite always down to where you spoke os a reading and Sadie came through. You are still so beautiful!! I wished I had a sister, the fun you have with your sister, I would feel a little envy. Your young grandkids are growing up! All of your grandkids are so blessed in having you and Don as their grandparents! I love reading your blogs when I am reminded by a thought or seeing you on Facebook. I love and miss you Peggy and I miss our friends as well. Have a wonderful 2020❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.