#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

What are you reading?

I still love it when a magazine comes in the mail.  There are very few I subscribe to now. I have kept up my subscription to Southern Lady for I love the way it is done and the recipes, decorating ideas, and towns they visit. I also get a few magazines because my grandchildren sell them as fund raisers...Oprah and Country Living. And for a year I subscribed to English Home for its beautiful pictures. I am still getting Bella Grace which I find delightful.

But I have a bone to pick with Oprah. I used to love that magazine for its great articles but now I find that it has turned too commercial for me. Almost every page is an ad for something. If it's not a full page ad it has those not so sublte pages where they promote products by saying "out of this world jewelry" or "best cosmetics". All they are is ads in disguise where they are showing you how much they cost and where to buy them. There is too much of that and not enough substance.  No wonder magazines are finding they are losing readers. 

The new book I am reading is A PEARL IN THE STORM by Tori Murden McClure. This is not the usual kind of novel that I would read but it was selected as the One Book Bradford choice this year. Every year our town selects a book for everyone to read and then invites the author to come. They also try to have other activities related to the book. This book I am finding extremely interesting. It is the story of the first women to row across the Atlantic Ocean solo. 

It seems for a while I couldn't find anything interesting to read and all of a sudden I'm flooded with books. I'm reading A Gentleman from Moscow on my ipad and have Ken Follet's The FAll of Giants waiting for me the library. I think this week will be a good time to park myself in a chair and read. 



1 comment :

  1. Hi, Peggy! I agree with you about Oprah's magazine. I've subscribed since it's beginning and think the quality is falling. I get tired of all the essentially ads embedded in articles. I just finished reading "Dragon Bones, " a posthumously published book by Michael Crichton. It was centered around the bone wars between two American paleontologists, Cope and Marsh, a century or more ago. It was great fun for me to read because I had the awesome privilege of working on fossils collect by Cope when I used to volunteer in the Denver Museum of Nature and Science fossil lab years ago. Have a good one, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.