#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Thursday, March 15, 2018

A short guide to a happy life


I picked up this book the other day at my Literary Club meeting. It’s just a small book full of wisdom. It says the things that I wish I had the words to put in writing. Here is a little excerpt. 

“I learned to love the journey, not the destination. I learned that this is not a dress rehearsal and that today is the only guarantee you get. I learned to look at all the good in the world and to try to give some of it back, because I believed in it completely and utterly. And I tried to do that, in part  by telling others what I had learned, even though so many people may have thought I sounded like a Pollyanna.  By telling them this: Consider the lilies of the field. Look at the fuzz on a baby’s ear. Read in the backyard with the sun on your face.  Learn to be happy. And think of life as a terminal illness because if you do you will live it with joy and passion as it ought to be lived.”

I would add: If you have a chance to do something, do it. Go to the library weekly and find good books. Travel and see new things. Talk to your friends, and do something with them. Take joy in your cup of tea. Light a candle. Eat outside. Take a walk as often as you can. Look at the view. 
 What would you add to the list?




3 comments :

  1. Anonymous3:46 PM

    isn't she wonderful! I've read that little book now several times. those words never can grow old.
    and I LOVE your own words. don't sell yourself short.
    I would say this particular winter has been a test you your own philosophy and you pass with FLYING colors dear bean!
    and if I added anything to hers AND yours it would be never miss a chance to be kind. to a human an animal and even a plant.
    and... if you can save the life of a honey bee that way I was honored in doing that time... try to do it!
    another quote I love is "Tell me... what will you do with your one wild and wonderful life?" or something to that effect.
    I should never try to quote because I get started and then worry about remembering! but I at least usually get the gist of it!
    it's by the fabulous modern American poet. Mary... OH NO! I have forgotten her name! and I love her. oh Tammy. well.
    you know like they say... "you're one of my dear friends! and when I am completely senile and forget who you are ...
    you will me my NEW dear friend!" LOLOL! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:49 PM

    lordy Pegeen! to BE is a very important verb. not will 'me!'
    and I'm talking to a teacher! aaaggh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:02 PM

    you won't believe when I remembered Mary the poet's name.
    in the middle of dinner with the Marine I blurted out "Mary Oliver!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.