#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Instant


I’m not much for kitchen gadgets anymore. I found that I would rather chop by hand than use an electric chopper and since I don’t entertain a lot anymore I don’t need those little fancy gadgets that do specialized things. Most of the fancy things have ended up on a storage shelf in the basement. But I decided to try out an Instant pot when my sisters continually told me how great her pressure cooker was. At first I hesitated thinking about my mother’s pressure cooker and thinking it was a dangerous thing. But my curiosity overwhelmed my fear and an Instant pot came home with me from Walmart. The very first time I used it I was convinced that this is the best thing I’ve had in a long time. I think we all have cooked meat only to have it tough and inedible. But with this pot that never happens. I’ve cooked stews and soups and everything I’ve made in it turns out tasty and tender.

Last night I tried something completely different.  I found this seasoning packet at Big Lots. I am all in favor of these little envelopes. This one was beef Stew Goulash. I had a small steak which I browned up in an oiled pan with some spices. I added the steak, this envelope and some water to the pot and pushed the stew/meat button (after I carefully put on the lid of course). It takes a few minutes for the pot to get up to temperature and then it begins timing down (for 35 minutes for meat). All that was left was for me to cook the noodles. Don and I both agreed that it was delicious. The steak was melt in your mouth tender and the flavoring of the thin sauce was extraordinary. There are many recipes online and on Pinterest for using this convenient device. Have you tried it yet?



3 comments :

  1. I have not tried this out yet. I did pick up a cookbook using it at the library. I was going to read the book then decide if I was going to buy one or not. I think I have to get over a bad memory of lentil soup which turned into 'mud soup' in a regular pressure cooker before I buy one. But I am sure the Insta Pot is much better than the old pressure cookers.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:44 PM

    my bad memory of a pressure cooker is the iron lid blowing to the ceiling and pinto beans going EVERYWHERE! literally all over the kitchen! LOLOL! wow. talk about a mess to clean up. actually lucky that nobody was killed. the lid landed just feet away from me.
    but I have read so many people love this new instapot.
    I will tell the marine about it. I've been Vegan for a couple of months now and never would have need of cooking meat. but he might really like it. thanks! he may already even have one. haven't heard him mention it.
    have you thought of offering your daughters in law the specialty gadgets that are stored on the shelf? it's just a thought. they might not need them either. but if they did they would appreciate them coming from you! I have a feeling you're a great cook! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmm...? Going to have to look into this pot!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.