#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Music anyone?

                                                            How important is music in your life?
I didn’t grow up in a particularly musical family. My mother sang to me a lot and my sisters and I always sang during car rides. I always remember loving music and as a teen listening to favorite songs. I took piano lessons for around two years and remember hating practicing and playing those classical pieces. But I always loved music. I actually remember the exact time I learned about rock and roll. It was in the driveway of an older girl in the neighborhood who had the radio playing in a window while we were gathered outside. Frankie Lymon sang aWhy do Fools Fall in Love in 1956. That was the beginning of my obsession with rock music. All through my teenage years I sang along to Elvis, Fabian, Paul Anna, and all those crooners. I bobbed to The Witch Doctor and other silly songs like Little Blue Man and Be Bop a Lu La. 





Throughout the sixties I was in college then newly married and entered the era of the Beatles, Stones, and all the rock songs dancing in bars to their strong beats. The seventies disco passed me by as I was busy raising my family and playing kids music. But I always loved music in all its forms as I discovered reggae, zydeco, folk rock, and classical. I loved all genres. I never was much of a record buyer, maybe a few albums now and then and lots of 45’s when I was young. When we turned on the radio we had very few stations that came in. 






So now it amaze me how easy it is to listen to music these days. Just download a free app...Spotify or Pandora and you have access to millions of songs which you can tailor to your taste. Anything you want to hear is available. LIke magic. Or you can tell Alexa to play a song. Instant music. 

I always said you can tell my mood by music. When I am happy I love to have the music going and turned up load, moving along to the songs. If there is no music playing watch out. 


I mentioned that I took a few years of piano. After I stopped I continued to learn piano on my own. I bought the teaching books and advanced and practiced all by myself. When we were first married Don and I purchased a player piano and had the best time pumping and singing along. I continued paying and buying piano books. My honey surprised me one Mother’s Day by buying me a real piano which I still have. I occasionally buy new songbooks. I currently love the ones I just bought and sit down to play often. 

I am so happy that my grandchildren are musical. Dan plays the guitar, piano and trumpet. Scott plays the guitar and drums. Both my little grandchildren sing. I love it that this talent is passed on to them. 

HOw about you? Has music influenced your life?  What type of music do you like?

1 comment :

  1. Anonymous4:09 PM

    you can't really go by me or what I like! I was a bride by the time I was 19. and I did housework to a song from the Jungle Book.
    "Look for the Bear Necessities!" LOL. before that I listened to my mother sing with her beautiful voice along with the music of her own era of the 40's. oh what wonderful music!
    I loved the Beatles. and Ricky Nelson more than Elvis really. I also loved mellow Jazz even then.
    I don't play an instrument but I have always sung ... at school and in the choir of whatever church we went to in childhood.
    My husband played by ear. and my favorite of his instruments was the mandolin. OH! for that alone I would have fallen in love with him! and his own voice was beautiful too.
    I have always had a very eclectic taste in it.
    my favorite song of all is Melissa Manchester's first recording of "Come In From The Rain." it brings me to tears every time.
    about the only music I never liked was the whiney 'through their nose' old timey country music. can't think of their names... but oh good grief! LOL!
    yet now... I seldom listen to music at home. in the car maybe. it's odd. and I don't miss it! go figure.
    but you're right. it's available everywhere! actually you can't go to any restaurant now in our city that it isn't BLARING so loud that you can't even have a conversation without yelling. maybe that's why it isn't a welcome thing for me overall now!
    I don't know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.