#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, September 15, 2018

I don’t deal in abstracts

I don’t like abstracts. I like realism. I like things that resemble what they are not some far out composition that is lauded for it’s placement of squares. I never dug Picasso or Pollack. I may not be sophisticated enough for the higher principles of art but I know what I like. 

So taking a class in collage was a new experience for me. Last week we spent all our time painting papers which we would use this week to tear in pieces to collage. Susan is an excellent instructor and showed us three short videos demonstrating collage techniques. 

The we played around with painting and using materials. It was an interesting session and it was freeing to just use gauze and string and randomly paint on the paper. 



But this is not something that I would be interested in pursuing. I will stick to painting landscapes and flowers.

In the interest of full disclosure Susan put on some music to paint by. I love music of all kinds with two notable exceptions....rap and jazz. She put on jazz. To me jazz is just like abstract painting. It is random and the melody is hardly discernible. (To me anyway). I don’t mean to be judgemental for there are many out there who love both and that is fine with me. This is just a personal preference. I guess at this stage of the game it is good to know thyself. 








1 comment :

  1. Anonymous3:52 PM

    LOL!!! I love both jazz and abstract paintings! but I like mellow jazz and not Pollock or Picasso. I find Pollock too busy.
    and Picasso too scary. and I felt like he was playing everybody as a fool. he could just draw three lines and command thousands of $$$. stupid.
    only upon studying him in art class in college did I learn that he was a master at the human form and other legitimate works. he just didn't like it! he felt boxed in apparently. good grief! I think the use of color in abstracts is what appeals to me about them.
    I really like all kinds of art I guess!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.