#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Monday, February 12, 2018

What do you do when you can’t sleep?

I find my sleep patterns are much different now than they used to be. Gone are the nights where I fall asleep quickly and sleep all the way through till morning. I seem to have trouble falling asleep and wake up several times to make trips to the bathroom. (TMI, I know). Sometimes I’ll even wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep for hours. Or I find myself waking up at five for the day. I accept this as just part of changes that go on in our life. 
   When I have trouble sleeping or an hour of being awake in the middle of the night I have a thing that I do. I watch the old tv show West Wing on my ipad. Sometimes I don’t even watch it, I just listen to it in the dark. Over the years I’ve probably seen these episodes seven or eight times. Each time it is as if I am watching it for the first time. (I don’t mean that I don’t recall the plot but just that they are so fresh and timely that they always keep my interest.) The acting is outstanding and the plot complicated enough to continue to challenge my mind. It stands head and shoulders above most of the television shows on today. 
  Do you have a “thing” that you do when you can’t sleep?



3 comments :

  1. I hear you, Peggy. Ditto. If I have hopes of going back to sleep again I just turn on my little book light and read, staying in bed. If I know there's no hope for sleeping I get up and unload the dishwasher, etc.

    We love West Wing and have the entire set that our kids gave us for Christmas one year. We've watched them so much that a few discs are too messed up to play. I agree with all you've said about it, great casting, great plots, great writing. We feel the same way about Northern Exposure, have that set too, also entire seasons of The Closer.

    Getting up every two to three hours to visit the bathroom (often interrupting deep sleep) is one of the non-perks of growing older. I have to remind myself that so many of my friends never lived long enough to experience that. That keeps it in perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Northern Exposure too. It was so quirky, that's why I loved it! Wasn't Mrs. Laningham from West Wing also in N. Exposure? Hard to remember. I've never watched the Closer. Maybe I'll have to check that out. Dewena, please let me know if you get this reply in your email. Thanks,

      Delete
  2. I hear you, Peggy! I often have trouble getting to sleep at night, and sometimes I wake up and spin around for hours. I often get up and read a book. Going on my computer just roils my brain. Wishing you a good sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.