#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Sunday, July 15, 2018

The status of the plants

I am not a gardener. I love flowers and plants but I didn’t inherit the love of gardening from my father. He got such joy from growing. I remember he had a garden every summer since I was a child. He delighted in watching the garden flourish and even in our short summers in Bradford he reaped the rewards of tomatoes and peppers in late August. Since we had late frosts I remember making little paper hats to put over the tender tomato plants in the garden in late May. And in September when the frost threatened the tomatoes which were now producing like mad he gathered all the green ones and put them in the basement on newspapers to ripen. But for me that love just isn’t there. It was passed to my son Ryan who loves to plant a garden. 




   So I do the best I can with actually very little knowledge of how to do it. For me it is hit and miss. I buy annuals and a few perennials and hope for the best. 




Right now the flowers seem to be taking a blooming break. The full flowering baskets are looking rather sparse even though I fertilized them. I am hoping that they will come back strong. 



I resort to adding sculptural elements in the garden like the pineapple and mosaic piece above. 




I even cheat with a fake (excuse me, faux) hydrangea wreath. This lemon mosaic has been decorating the doorway for many years. I love my garden and the few blooms it provides but on my bucket list is a cutting garden. I would love a space to have plentiful blooms such as in an English garden that I could cut and bring in the house. I never dare cut the flowers I have since they are so sparse and few between. Maybe someday my gardening friends can help me achieve my dream. 






2 comments :

  1. Anonymous4:57 PM

    I didn't get the gardening gene either. I only remember one garden my parents had in my whole growing up years.
    there were too many 'zones' moving from place to place. and gardens thrive on stability and knowledge of soil and conditions!
    I love the little lemon mosaic piece. it's so beautiful. and SO! maybe you might not be able to eat from your garden...
    but there is something to the sound of splashing water in fountains and the beauty created in small spaces... and inviting places
    to sit and read on your patio or visit with friends! that to me is just as important a gift! and you have it dearest bean! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of four daughters, my father got one who loved to garden along with him as a child, my sister Deb. I preferred helping my mother inside. But like you, I love gardens and have become more and more passionate about trees and shrubs and plants. And there were actually about 10 years when I spent hours each day during spring and summer out in my garden working. I was a late bloomer in the garden and loved it but arthritis and skin cancer stopped that as it's not much fun to garden in the hot sun wearing a huge hot sun hat and long sleeved sun shirts. So now RH does all the gardening except deadheading. But I find pictures of what I want and he somehow brings it all to fruition. And I sit in the shade and cheer him on and plan more projects for him!

    Peggy, I always love the pictures of your garden spaces! And how the artist in you accessorizes it all. You're like someone who knows just what piece of jewelry to add to an outfit to make it perfect. So I think that makes you a gardener! But I'm happy that your son inherited that gene.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.