#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Monday, July 16, 2018

The sunset of our lives


This was the gorgeous sunset we saw coming home from Eldred the other night. We had been visiting family for a picnic to see some relatives from out of town. It is so nice to have family nearby because my side of the family has all moved south. How wonderful it is to visit and talk and enjoy each other’s company. 

   I try not to often to think about my age. I don’t dwell on the things I can no longer do but keep pushing to do all I can while I can. But occasionally I think about how it changes you. For instance we know that after Sadie is no longer with us that we will probably not get another dog. It wouldn’t be fair when she might outlast us. And I don’t think we could go through training a puppy again. 

Another change is that I don’t entertain and have large parties like I used to. I don’t have the energy to carry large tables up from the basement and spend hours preparing food. I don’t like it but I have to accept that things change in this sunset of my life.

Meanwhile I won’t think about it. I have excellent role models. Some of my coffee friends are in their eighties and are doing so well. They take good care of themselves and are still active. One goes to the yMCA every single morning to exercise. The other walks a half an hour every single day without fail. They put me to shame.

Each stage of life presents its own challenges but I’m happy that I have been able to reach old age. Some people don’t. I’ve lost my two best friends and many classmates. 

2 comments :

  1. I was so taken with this photograph. And now your words echo the thoughts I was having myself as I looked at it.

    It is so hard, isn't it, to say I can't do this anymore? When the mind can plan such wonderful meals, such beautiful tables? When we see something on Pinterest that we realize would work so well in a room--except that it would require days of work to pull it off? It's so frustrating for me because I want to still be doing these things. I love having people over for a meal, love the conversation that happens around a table when we have friends and family over. But I spend a week having to rest afterwards.

    I hear you about the day you think about when your darling little Sadie is no longer there with you. All I can say is that we said no more dogs when we lost Otis and Milo, the hurt was too hard and like you, I didn't want to someday have them lose us. But that lasted about 3 days until I couldn't bear not to have dachshunds in the house any more. And then searching dachshund rescue sites online got me through each day. However, we no longer travel. You do, you love visiting your scattered family. I'm home most all the time. And then two of my sons told me that they promised to bring any dachshund we had into their own homes if something happened to RH and me. And so we found our new babies and hope to give them a wonderful life as long as we possibly can. And then also, we always adopt senior or adult dogs who don't need puppy training.

    The sunset years are usually not what we thought they'd be when we were younger. But as you said, it is a privilege to reach them. We just sat at the heartbreaking life celebration of a friend in her early 50s this weekend. And Peggy, I know that you will make yours as rich and wonderful as possible because that's the kind of person you are. We will find all the beauty there is to see in them, pinky promise? Okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:24 PM

    what a beautiful comment from Dewena.
    it's as if we live several lifetimes in one. and we are the lucky ones to reach the sunset time. but then I LOVE sunsets!
    our generation is looking at this part of living in a totally different way I think. we let things go more easily perhaps. and we enjoy what we can. it's the best thing we can learn in life. part of the serenity prayer perhaps. and life remains wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.