#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, June 30, 2018

Self Criticism

You’ve heard the saying “We are our own worst critics.” We tend to be harder on ourselves than others would be. I wonder why that is? I let self criticism keep me from making art for a long time. From time to time I would paint or draw but be dissatisfied with the results and put away the paintbrush. Why didn’t I realize that I was practicing and it didn’t have to be perfect? The best thing I have done for myself is put myself in an art class where I received instruction and guidance but more than that self confidence.




https://i1.wp.com/thedailygrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Be-brave-copy-1.jpg

That is why I loved the watercolor classes at Mayville. Susan Giannantonio is an artist from Houston who spends her summers at Chautauqua and shares her talent through local art classes. She not only is a wonderful artist but she is a fabulous teacher who has a way of communicating the love of making art. She demonstrates then frees you to experiment on your own without her hovering over you. She allows you the freedom to just go at it and try. She is very encouraging making you realize that not everything has to be perfect. This is a quote from her website.

“Every new painting is like throwing myself into the water without knowing how to swim.” – Édouard Manet.

So I will continue painting and push down any criticism that I have and just enjoy the joy.

3 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you get such joy from your painting and you should because you are so good. But today's post is so true, we easily have that self-criticism down pat, especially when we're younger. I'm finding that a little bit of a who-cares attitude helps set me straight when I start to go that way. A little false bravery sometimes leads to the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:52 PM

    criticism can take the fun out of anything. especially while learning.
    and that's the thing about art.
    who is to say anyway? it's ART and it's your very own impression and expression.
    if everybody did it perfectly... why not just take a photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what Susan said on .friday. She likes interpretation not realism.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.