#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Friday, June 29, 2018

The days don’t get better than this

If I could make up the most perfect summer day it still wouldn’t have been as good as today. I invited my art class friend Cici to go with me to Mayville to a watercolor lesson. We met behind Perkins where she left her car and traveled the hour trip up to the top of Chautauqua Lake to an old historic town. The first thing we did was stop at the Sweet Shop for lunch. It is a small restaurant where you walk up to the counter and look at the board behind to order. I had their special a turkey panini on whole grain bread with cranberry sauce, cream cheese, and walnuts along with a small bowl of couscous. Delish! While we were there we talked to Darlene, the owner who told us all about the things that were on the wall decorating the cafe. 







It was very crowded and in the room we were in there were about ten people eating. We found out they were a choral group from Orlando called Octave and were performing at the Chautauqua Institution that night. Darlene asked them to sing for us and what a treat that was.  



Next we went down the road to the Depot for our art lesson. On the way we saw that the local library was having a book sale so of course we had to stop. Then we went for our lesson which was painting geraniums with watercolor. 







She taught us a neat technique which was to paint the back of a geranium leaf first with dish soap and then with paint and turn it over and press it into the watercolor paper. I loved sitting there among other artists and painting. Cici loved the class so much she is coming next week. Unfortunately I can’t make it . I hope to get to other classes this summer. 






On the way home we stopped at some fruit markets where I picked up some peaches, cherries and strawberries. What an absolutely perfect day!

1 comment :

  1. Oh how pretty! When my daughter-in-law comes next I should get her to bring her paints where we can try this. I'm such a geranium lover anyway.

    I didn't realize you were so close to Chautauqua Lake. I remember hearing about it all my life and seeing pictures of the sweet little houses there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.