#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Random Wednesday

More random questions....thanks to Preppy Empty Nester. 

1.  Okay, 'fess up.  Tell us your top three favorite pies, please.  Will you have some pie today?

My all time favorite pie is pecan pie. It may relate to my southern heritage because I never remember having it growing up in the north but when I visited Geogia I always tried to have a piece when I was there. Now I find it too rich so I rarely indulge. 
  I also love apple pie (now that is a Northern favorite.) Every year I buy a half bushel of apples and peel and freeze them to make pies in the winter.
   My third choice would be cherry. My mother made them with a woven lattic top. 






2.  While we are talking about food... are you a picky eater or are you ready to try any new food?  What is the worst thing that you have ever eaten?

I grew up a picky eater. I remember my mother would always fix me something different if I didn’t like what was being served for dinner. Therefore my palate was very limited. I remember in high school going to a pizza party and not liking pizza. My mother was from the south and pizza was never served in our house. I didn’t even like salad until I was an adult. I still do not have a taste for seafood. The worst thing I ever taste was fois gras. It was a beautiful setting in France where we were sitting at an outside table. We were traveling with friends and staying at a restored Medieval village high in the hills of Provence where each night we cooked and ate food that was bought that day. My Danish friends were relishing their fois gras and offered me some. When I tasted it I found it a quite unusual taste and then it went to my throat and had a really different and unpleasant taste which lingered in my mouth a long time. 

3.  Baking could be considered an art as could cooking.  
How do you define art?
Art can span so much that it is difficult to define. Art to me can be something as simple as the way a creek splashes across the rocks. A leaf sitting on a wooden railing. An arrangement of colorful glasses on a shelf. Art is all around us everyday if we care to notice it. 

4.  Tell us a really stupid joke that made you laugh, please.

That one is hard for me. I have a terrible memory for jokes. The latest one I laughed at was a cartoon of Trump which said “Does this ass make my country look small?” Sorry for the political commentary. I try not to do it too much for I respect everyone’s rights to choose for themselves. 

5.  January 23rd is also National Handwriting Day.  Do you have nice handwriting?  Did cursive writing come naturally or did you practice in those double-lined practice books until your fingers hurt?

I personally love cursive and can’t believe that they no longer teach it in school. I learned it in elementary school. When I was in seventh grade we were allowed to use pen and ink (and by that I mean a quill type pen and an inkwell) to write cursive. To me that was such a big deal. 

6.  Tell us something random about your week. 

Last night I was trying to find a parking place downtown so I could go to my art class. Parking is not very good at best in our town but there wasn’t any places at meters that I could find near the building. I saw some places that were not metered behind another building so I decided to pull in there. The snowplow had gone by and piled snow along the outer edge but I thought I could make it. I was wrong and got my car stuck and despite all my efforts at rocking it back and forth I couldn’t get it out. I waved down a passing guy and he tried to push. Another man and woman came by and they couldn’t either. My back end was sticking out blocking one lane of traffic. Luckily it was a road with not too many cars. One man got a shovel and tried to shovel out the snow underneath. After they pushed awhile we discovered that the parking brake had put itself on. That had happened to me once before where the parking brake comes on by itself. After we disengaged it they were able to push me right out. I felt so helpless. Other times when I would have that kind of trouble I would call my husband who would bring his truck down with a tow rope and pull me right out. We no longer have our truck since we gave it to Chris and got a new car. 





Downtown Bradford street

What is the worst thing you have every tasted?

2 comments :

  1. Hi, Peggy! That snow in downtown Bradford looks forbidding. We had a snowstorm Monday night, and our snow is already disappearing in the Colorado sunshine. I'm glad that you got out of your predicament okay (in the end). Sorry, but I'm buried with things to do today, so I'll only comment on cursive handwriting, which in Canada we called handwriting (as opposed to printing). I think it's a travesty that it's no longer taught in school. Learning cursive improves brain development in the areas of thinking, fine motor skills, working memory, fluidity of language, and connections between the right and left hemisphere of the brain. My practical experience as a 2/3 teacher was that it especially helped kids with learning disabilities. Ohio's Senate recently passed a bill requiring that students be taught cursive. It still has to pass Ohio's House and be signed by Ohio's governor. I hope it's enacted and the movement spreads. I do not want to go back to the days of hiring scribes. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wall of snow makes me realize that you do have different winters than we do here in the South! Golly!

    Pecan pie is my favorite, with key lime a close second. But I just like pie, period. I enjoyed reading your answers to random questions, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.