#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Contemplation

The Winter Solstice is the time of ending and beginning, a powerful time -- a time to contemplate your immortality. A time to forgive, to be forgiven, and to make a fresh start. A time to awaken.”


- Fredrick Lenz

AS I sit here with one eye on the playoff football game my mind wanders. This year my husband and I have been watching a lot of football.  We were always fans of the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers but this year we have found the time to watch a lot of different teams. I think having a DVR has made the difference since we record the games and watch them later as we can fast forward through all the commercials. Our teams didn’t do as well this year so we are rooting for the Kansas City Chiefs with their young quarterback. 
    We find that we have a lot of time now that we are retired. Our family lives far away and we find that weekends can be rather quiet around our house. These slow days don’t bother me. I rather enjoy the extra time to relax with no particular pressure. I am using the time wisely by doing some organizing chores and decluttering. I feel I have entered a different mindset where I want to only keep those things that bring me joy. In the quest to simplify my life I want to have less to take care of. 
    I am reading Nine Perfect Strangers but haven’t made up my mind if I really like it or not. I’m looking for a good page turner like Lilac Girls which I finished a few weeks ago. Our library is small and the best sellers In demand   so it is not easy to find the best books.  It is a great time to spend the day reading. 




When you die, it’s done, the chance is gone. So when you live? When you live, make it all. Don’t wait for the rain to stop. Climb out of your tent with your mind engaged and your senses ablaze and let rain pour into you. Remember: you are not who you think you are. You are what you do. Be the kindness of soft rain. Be the beauty of light behind a tall fir. Be gratitude. Be gladness.”
- Katheleen Dean Moore

2 comments :

  1. Hi, Peggy! I haven't been following football very much this year. The Broncos have been a disappointment. Like you, I am rooting for the Chiefs. Kudos to you as you tackle decluttering. I'm working through the same progress. I decided a few nights ago that I'm going to tackle my extensive collection of maps. It will be hard to get rid of a lot of them, but I must. I don't want to leave a huge mess for someone else to clean up after I'm gone, and there is no room for them in a nursing home. I'm not being morbid, just realistic. I hope I have lots of carefree and uncluttered years left. I just want to be free of the weight of too many possessions. I'll be working through your recent posts. I think Terry and I are going to hit pause this year, just take it easier and catch up on a few things. You remain my inspiration! Sending you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to give things up that we once cherished. But let them be a blessing to someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.