#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Thursday, January 24, 2019

The battle of the bulge



I’ve been fighting a battle all my adult life. And I’m not winning. You would think after 50 some years that I could have figured it all out since I’ve read every diet book out there and gone on most of the diets. But I never give up and that has lead me to going to the gym (YMCA). 

I’ve never, ever loved to exercise. I’ve never felt that “high” that athletes talk about. But I’m walking the treadmill and I don’t mind that for thirty minutes. Well, I think you will laugh when I tell you how I do it. Gretchen Rubin who has written books and currently has a podcast tells about developing habits. One of the way is called Pairing. That means put a pleasant task hooked on to a more unpleasant one. So when I go on the treadmill I listen to a favorite podcast to distract me. But for the past few days I found a pairing that works even better. I watch an episode of Grace and Frankie on Netflix using my phone sitting on the treadmill frame in front of me. I had to walk thirty minutes so I could finish the episode. Worked for me!









2 comments :

  1. Argh! Weight! I hear you, Peggy! Some of us were never meant to be skinny. I've lost 30 pounds from my highest weight, but I need to pare off ten more. I've been slowly adjusting my eating habits permanently. I have arrived at the conclusion that diets usually don't work long term. Right now my "health" goal is to get at least 6 3/4 hours of sleep. After six months of trying, I have realized that seven hours per night just doesn't work for me. So I'm going for 6 3/4 hours, and if seven happens ~ woo hoo! Kudos to you for going to the gym and walking. 30 minutes/day walking is consistently touted as the best exercise you can do, so keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Louise. I could never get along on that little sleep. Are you a night owl?

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.