#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto 0 300px;}

Monday, January 23, 2017

Are you getting organized?

There are two types of people in this world…those that are completely organized all the time…and the rest of us poor fools! I think I’ve been saying “I’m going to get organized” for forty years. It’s not that I’m so bad…(at least I don’t think so). I can find things…(most of the time). My main area stay clean and clutter free (most of the time). But I’ve never gotten my house to the state where all the rooms (including the basement and attic) are pristine. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it will never happen and I don’t mind at all. (ok, I do mind sometime when something disappears and I can’t find it for days). I will keep striving and organizing every January till I die (and what is left will be someone else’s to deal with).

 

cleaning

 

   I have read a lot of clutter clean up books throughout the years so I do have a few tips:

1. Gretchen Rubin says “if it takes less than a minute, do it”. This has really helped me. I used to take something in the bedroom and lay it on the bed. It belonged in the bedroom and I got it that far. But I didn’t exactly put it away then so I had to deal with it later. Now if it only takes a minute I just do it then.

2. Have a place for things. Keys should be hung by the door. Books should go in the bookbag or on the shelf. I keep scissors in each room so that I can find them easily.

3. Don’t buy duplicates or things you really don’t need. No one thinks they do that but when I cleaned my kitchen out I had so many paring knives it wasn’t funny. cleaning2

4. When you get out of the shower take a minute to towel dry the shower walls and wipe out the tub. Then you don’t need to do so much scrubbing.

5. Do deep cleaning only when you feel like it. You need energy for that and you have to be in the right mood. Light a candle, turn on loud fast music and go to town.

6. Try to keep the daily clutter to a minimum. Corral things in baskets or trays till you have a chance to put them away where they belong.

7. I have a small basket near the kitchen where I put all those stray things that I come across all day and carry it into the bedroom and bath when I go that way at the end of the day.

 

Do you have any hints, ideas, or solutions that work well for you?

 

cleaning3

Me cleaning >>>>>Fantasy

 

Me cleaning…….reality.

I have a small confession. Santa brought me the best cleaning gift ever…a Rhomba. It’s a round miracle that cleans your floors with a push of a button. It’s a fascinating tool and makes my life so much easier. Don was skeptical but when he saw how much hair and dust that it collected he was won over. When it runs out of juice it goes back to its dock and recharges itself. I LOVE it!

 

 



 

3 comments :

  1. You've listed a lot of my favorite strategies, Peggy. One thing I've found really helpful to do. If I'm struggling to toss something away that I know there's no good reason to keep, I take a photo of it, then toss it. 99% of the time, I don't even go back to look at its photo. I even have an album in my computer photo collection to keep such photos in. I call it "Things to Remember." I have a photo of those two gallons or so of crayons I finally parted with in that album! LOL
    I like to go around and tidy early in the morning while listening to the news ~ just making the bed, putting away the dishes in the dishwasher, starting a load of laundry, picking up the odd thing I missed before going to bed the night before. I treat the socks in our drawers with respect and kindness! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me getting organized means sorting my stuff and getting rid of unnecessary paper and passing along that which I no longer find beautiful or useful or of sentimental value. (William Morris) then once I make room it seems the house organizes itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a Roomba back when I was married to Bob...I LOVED IT!!!!! As for keeping up with clutter...I pray for energy...LOTS OF IT!! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciated your thoughts.